Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jerash

Yesterday I had the day off from classes for the Prophet's Birthday, so some friends and I took a day trip to Jerash--a city of Roman ruins about half an hour north of Amman.  It was my first time outside of the city since I got here nearly three weeks ago and I was amazed by how beautiful the countryside is.  Exploring the ruins in Jerash was like nothing else I've ever experienced because (1) they let you climb all over everything and (2) it was an amazing mix of cultures and times and peoples.  The sounds of the call to prayer wafted over us while we walked amidst crumbling ancient buildings with views of the modern city in the background, little kids playing a game of soccer in a field next door, and groups of other tourists speaking numerous languages passing through.  All of this combined with a delicious lunch of Lebanese food and perfect weather made for an absolutely amazing day.  And now, photos!

Amman to Jerash taxi drive

The group with modern Jerash in the background.

John and I repping AU!

Ancient city of Jerash from the top of the Temple of Zeus.


Lemonade with mint and free dessert at the Lebanese House restaurant
(the king has eaten there)!
This entry was also posted to the AU Ambassadors blog for prospective American University students.

No comments:

Post a Comment